TEAM MANAGER INFORMATION
Thank you for volunteering your valuable time to ensure the smooth running of the Busselton Blazers Development teams and to resolve/avoid any problems which may divert the coach from his/her primary job of coaching.
Following are some responsibilities, tips and pointers that can help the season run smoothly, especially for first time managers who have not experienced the Development program before.
Primarily, you, as Manager, are the first contact for parent enquiries within your team. You are the go-between, between the coach and parents. Your team should have your phone number and email address.
It is your job to keep the parents (and players) informed about training sessions, carnivals and any other information that affects your team/s. Most people find an app such as ‘Heja’ or ‘Messenger’ can be helpful with relaying information to everyone.
You are expected to be available to answer questions and queries, so that coaches are not bombarded with parents’ queries.
Obviously, if there is something you can’t answer, email: email@example.com who are always available to assist.
* When fixtures are finalised, you should organise a scoring roster for your team/s and give your parents as much notice as possible.
ALL parents are expected to help with scoring, not just those who have previous experience. Forewarn all parents that this is the case, and suggest they do some scoring on both the computer and the scoreboard, for their child’s domestic games, before the carnivals. You can ask parents if there is a particular time slot they prefer. If you don’t get volunteers, then allocate times at your discretion.
*Have all parents’ contact numbers in your phone for quick reference and contact
* Don’t be afraid to ask for help or delegate jobs to other parents if needed
Carnival Game Days:
* Managers are very important on game day and carnivals. Again, you are the main contact, keeping parents informed
* Liaise with your coach before the day and make a meeting point for the team at the venue, to go through the running of the day and hand out the uniforms to each player
* It’s a good idea to have a copy of your fixtures (game times & court #) and scoring schedule with you at all times. All parents should receive a copy of this too.
Before Each Game:
* Gather players’ water bottles (ask them to fill them first) and have them ready for the game
* List and confirm all your players and coach on the stadium scoring system – ensure all player numbers are correct
* Check the players have their mouthguards, also no jewellery/watches etc, nails are trimmed and female hair not platted which may cause injury to other players.
*Make sure you have a towel in your kit (handy for many different reasons!)
* Be aware that each venue has first aid facilities and officials that can help with icepacks etc.
* After the pre-game warm up, collect the team ball/s and tidy up the bench (with bags underneath or behind bench), ensure no trip hazards and all players are ready to play (note: no mouthguard, no play)
** NO PARENTS ARE TO APPROACH THE TEAM BENCH OR SCORE BENCH AT ANY TIME DURING GAMES. ONLY THE COACH AND MANAGER MAY TALK TO THE SCORERS **
* Support your coach. Listen to him/her and help out where you can.
* Sit on the bench (at then end of the players) Encourage all players and attend to players as needed (eg. make sure water bottles are filled at least every quarter)
* At any time, the coach may ask for an update on personal fouls for his players – you may find it handy to keep a small notebook with you to write this info down
After Each Game:
* Clear the bench area immediately, so the next team can come in
* Let parents know that the coach will have a short debrief with the team immediately after the game, and parents are not be involved in this – it is time for coach and players only
* Inform all players at the end of each game, after the team huddle, when & where the next game is.
* Uniforms are to be collected by the Manager from each player, at the end of the day/carnival, taken home and washed before returning to BABA.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, with any queries.